When I try to join a Blackboard Collaborate session on my Mac OS X 10.7 machine, the session file is in the .jnlp file format and opens with Java Web Start rather than Blackboard Collaborate Launcher.
Additional symptoms include:
- Display issues (chat text size too small, inability to adjust windows, etc.)
- Audio issues
- Cannot open the .jnlp file altogether
The .jnlp file -- incompatible with OS X 10.7 Blackboard Collaborate Launcher
Blackboard is unable to recognize that OS X 10.7 users can use the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher. You are incorrectly served .jnlp files instead of .collab files.
- MAC OS X 10.7
Manually change the file’s extension:
- Download the course.jnlp or meeting.jnlp file to your computer
- Open Finder and navigate to your Downloads directory
- Right-click the .jnlp file and click ‘Get Info’
- If you are unable to right-click, hold down the CTRL key and then click on the file
- Scroll down to ‘Name & Extension’ and change the .jnlp to .collab
- Close the “Info” window
- Double-click the course.jnlp or meeting.jnlp file to join your session.